Thanks.

From: ljnelson [via OpenJPA]
[mailto:ml-node+4837820-1225260212-48...@n2.nabble.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2010 11:36 AM
To: Patel, Sanjay
Subject: Re: can JPA Entity extend non JPA Entity?

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 10:56 AM, sapatel [via OpenJPA] <[hidden email]
<http://n2.nabble.com/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4837820&i=0> > wrote:

What I want to do is I want all my JPA entities to extend some BaseEntity class
where can I define some properites (which are not table columns) to use/share.

Just do it:

public class A {
  // no matter what you put in here it won't be mapped to the database,
  // even if you use JPA annotations.
}

@Entity
public class B extends A {
  // All state and behavior is available from A.  Only fields defined in B
that are
  // annotated with JPA annotations will get mapped to the database.
}

(If you want some of A's state to be mapped, then you want to look at the
@MappedSuperclass annotation, but that is not what you are claiming you want
from your question.)

Best,
Laird