Seems I resolved these two problems by changing java type to PC_UNTYPED and
type to SQLXML in slightly changed XMLValueHandler from openjpa source tree:

     public Column[] map(ValueMapping vm, DBIdentifier name, ColumnIO io,
        boolean adapt) {
        Column col = new Column();
        col.setIdentifier(name);
        col.setJavaType(JavaTypes.PC_UNTYPED); //was JavaTypes.STRING
        col.setSize(-1);

col.setTypeIdentifier(DBIdentifier.newColumnDefinition(vm.getMappingRepository().getDBDictionary()
            .xmlTypeName));
        col.setXML(true);
        col.setType(Types.SQLXML);      // new, otherwise CLOB is picked up.
        return new Column[]{ col };
    }

I'm not sure how generic is this though.

XML is stored and reconstructed JAXB objects look ok now.
Krzysztof