José,

Thanks for your reply.  My pom.xml setup is very similar to yours and
the "enhance" goal  runs without error, but, as I mentioned,
I still get the error on "casting java.util.HashSet".   Are you able
to persist entities with 1-M or M-M relationships?

BTW, I changed my code to temporarily change JPA provider from OpenJPA
to the Hibernate JPA provider
and, once again, Hibernate's JPA reports:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown
entity: java.util.HashSet
        at
org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl.persist(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:671)

Well, at least both JPA implementations are complaining about the same
issue - I just wish I knew
what I was doing!   I know I can get this to work in an instant by
reverting to Hibernate-only
solution, but I was hoping the byte-code weaving of JPA would be a
performance advantage over
Hibernate's reflection/proxy pattern.

Thanks again,

    -Chris