Hi vitalyla,
I'm not sure if I followed your scenario exactly, but what version of
OpenJPA are you using?  As we were developing OpenJPA 2.x, we discovered a
few inconsistencies with the clear processing, serializing, and detachment
in general.  These inconsistencies were documenting in this section of the
user manual:

http://people.apache.org/~mikedd/nightly.builds/apache-openjpa-2.3.0-SNAPSHOT/docs/docbook/manual.html#migration_detach_behavior

At the same time, I'm wondering about your getter method...  I would not
expect your getter method to be allocating storage for Child (new
ArrayList...).  I would expect that type of processing in your setter
method.

A few things to consider...  Good luck.
Kevin