Thanks, Mark.

Here's a starting point for our release process:
http://openjpa.apache.org/release-management.html

The steps you are interested in are under the Apache Nexus Release
process:
http://openjpa.apache.org/apache-nexus-release-process-(1.2.x-2.1.x).html

Good luck!  There are several people that have done Apache OpenJPA releases
recently, so hopefully you'll get the assistance you need.  But, I do know
at least one of them is busy with JavaOne this week...

Kevin