I tried this same trick in my app server -> DB test and oddly it had no effect
either way.

I’m wondering if I’m actually doing anything here with this property.

I do see the log line:

        606  CoRE  INFO   [main] openjpa.jdbc.JDBC - Using dictionary class
"org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.sql.PostgresDictionary”.

So I’m assuming that this property will in fact, do something to the db
dictionary.  But the default already is “BIT”, so it’s unclear that this is
where the problem lies.