On 10 June 2014 18:50, ljnelson <ljnel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (Just an observer here.)
>
> Sounds like--leaving JPA out of it for a moment--you must also be using
> pessimistic locking in the database, right? to ensure that this
> not-enforced-by-the-database constraint is holding?

I'll try that. The quora link I posted suggests that this will work:

1. Start a transaction.
2. Insert the new entity without checking any condition.
3. Select all entities similar to the one you inserted, using
OPTIMISTIC_FORCE_INCREMENT. If it returns more than one entity abort, else
commit.

I couldn't see how that would work, but I haven't tried it.

Rupert