Hi Rob,

yes thanks in the end i did this
Join<EntityZ, Detail> detail = entity.join(EntityZ_.details);

the documentation page linked in my first email (https://openjpa.apache.org/builds/2.4.2/apache-openjpa/docs/jpa_overview_criteria.html) is for 2.4.2 which is what i am using bundled in TomEE 7.0.3. the examples on the page should be updated to reflect what we are saying here?

Matt