I figured out the proper syntax and tried it again using

 map.events.register("zoomend", map, function() {
                        if (map.getZoom()>0) {
                           if (satellite.displayInLayerSwitcher== false) {
                            satellite.displayInLayerSwitcher= true;
                                map.setBaseLayer(satellite);
                                satellite.setVisibility(true);
                                 //switcher.updateMap;
                            }
                                }
                        else
                        {
                        satellite.displayInLayerSwitcher= false;
                        map.setBaseLayer(nomoi);
                        satellite.setVisibility(false);
                }
                   });

this works when zooming in and for a little while zooming back to first zoom
but then nothing happens when I click the zoom out button in panzoombar and
the browser stops responding. tried that with firefox and IE. no errors in
firebug

thanks for you idea. I managed to set these options correctly upon creating
the layers e.g:

var satellite = new OpenLayers.Layer.Google( "Google Satellite" , {type:
G_SATELLITE_MAP, MIN_ZOOM_LEVEL: 7, maxExtent:extent,
displayInLayerSwitcher: false, visible: false} );

but how do i change these properties later?