With a little more fooling around, I have found that it has to do with the
MetaTiling....

My WMS Server is Manifold 8.0 and it can only write out PNG images.  I am
using .NET to  write out the binary stream to TileCache from Manifold.  I
don't think it is an Interlacing issue because TC would complain if I sent
it an interlaced PNG.

Also, if I turn MetaTile off and generate each tile individually, it works
fine (without any .NET code changing).  The problem with this is that I
don't get any speed benefit when seeding my layers and it takes days to seed
a layer.

I've  http://yfrog.com/5bexamplemqrp linked  to a screen shot of what
happens when I have metaTiling on.  On the left half of the image, you can
see that there is an issue with how the road center lines are rendered.

Still looking for some assistance from anyone who may have come across any
issues like this.