I tried some very basic tests with and without the resize option and it does
seem to create a fair number of additional requests.

Here are my results...
With Resize:
Initial Load: 585 requests
+1 Zoom level: 999 requests (+414 for the zoom)
-1 Zoom level: 1096requests (+97 for the zoom)

Without Resize:
Initial Load: 419 requests
+1 Zoom level: 683 requests (+192 for the zoom)
-1 Zoom level: 731 requests (+48 for the zoom)

The site I am testing with has about 5 WMS layers, a couple of vector layers
(shouldn't matter) and about 15 tool buttons on the screen (plus the zoom
bar, pan bar).  On the initial load, there are 3 layers turned on.  (If this
info helps.....)

For now, I will keep the resize effect turned off because it does seem to
make a decent speed difference.

Shawn