I use OpenLayers, GeoServer, Postgres with PostGis.
I copied the source of this file
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/wfs-protocol-transactions.html.
I modified this code:

 wfs = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector("Editable Features", {
                strategies: [new OpenLayers.Strategy.BBOX(), saveStrategy],
                projection: new OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:4326"),
                protocol: new OpenLayers.Protocol.WFS({
                    version: "1.1.0",
                    srsName: "EPSG:4326",
                    url: "http://demo.opengeo.org/geoserver/wfs";,
                    featureNS :  "http://opengeo.org";,
                    featureType: "restricted",
                    geometryName: "the_geom",
                    schema:
"http://demo.opengeo.org/geoserver/wfs/DescribeFeatureType?version=1.1.0&typename=og:restricted";
                })
            });

with my code:

wfs  = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector( 'gtest2', {
                                   strategies: [
                                                new OpenLayers.Strategy.BBOX(),
saveStrategy
                                        ],
                                        projection: new
OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:31700"),
                                        protocol: new OpenLayers.Protocol.WFS({
                                                version:            '1.1.0',
                                                srsName:
'EPSG:31700',
                                                url:
'http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wfs',

featureNS:"http://www.opengeospatial.net/cite";,
                                                featureType:        'gtest2',
                                                geometryName:       'geom'
                                        })
                                });

 gtest2 is a reference to a PostGis table, which have this structure
                        gid   int4   PRIMARY KEY
                        name    varchar(20)
                        geom    polygon

I use WFS to  add, modified, and delete the layers from gtest2.  I have a
problem when i add, modified, ch the layers, it's not work, when i refresh
the file the, the file have the same layers at the begin. The delete work
fine.