Cluster strategy didn't help me, because I need the lines to be rendered.

Right now I am using MaxResolution to crop the whole Layer if the level of
detail is small (i.e. low zoom level).
The weird thing is that GeoServer can serve me the image in real time of the
same layer and OL crashes the browser for lack of memory, and both (the
browser and the GeoServer) are hosted and running on my development machine.
I know OL is javascript, but even though, there shouldn't be such a huge
impact on memory.

Have you guys seen this before?

And thanks a lot for the help!