Hey all,

We're developing a desktop app which will incorporate some geodata. A
full dataset for our area (the state of Wisconsin) is way too big to
download or even install with the desktop app, so we're planning to
provide a download service where users can define an area of interest
(AOI) and automatically download the geodata.

We have the imagery available via WCS, the vector data via WFS, and a
composite view via WMS for AOI-picking. A key point here is that our
users run the gamut from very sophisticated GIS experts down to people
who have trouble copying a file using Windows Explorer. So the
traditional download-shapefiles-and-images path won't do at all, we'd
spend endless hours explaining that shape "files" are really sets of
files, etc. etc. Instead, we need a seamless process where the user
selects an AOI and presses one button -- hey presto, the geodata are
available in the desktop app!

Building the AOI picker is easy, of course, any of you could do it in
your sleep. But that "hey presto" part...hmm. Anybody know of a
library or component that will read a WFS feed (i.e., GML) and insert
the geometry into a geodatabase? (We're planning on SpatialLite at
this point.) Likewise, is there easily-accessible code that will
construct, say, a GeoTIFF from a WCS call? I know of applications that
do these things (e.g. uDig or QGIS for WFS, and svSIG for WCS), but of
course would rather use a library than trying to port code.

Your pardon if this is somewhat off-topic; my excuse is (a) the AOI-
picker will use OpenLayers, and (b) this is a rather knowledgeable set
of developers! If you prefer to contact me off-list, feel free, and
I'll summarize and post anything useful that we find.

TIA,

rw
UW Soil Science
Madison, WI