You may also want to explicitly set your SRS on your WFS layer.  Eg:

var geoserver = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector( "GeoServer WFS:
Itasca Lakes", {
         strategies: [new OpenLayers.Strategy.BBOX()],
         protocol: new OpenLayers.Protocol.WFS({
             url: "http://172.16.172.129:8080/geoserver/wfs";,
             featureType: "prco303:itasca",
             featureNS: "http://172.16.172.129";,
             srs: "EPSG:26915"
             })
         });

PS:  You have a trailing comma after your featureNS in the code you posted.

HTH,
Brian