Thank you. That does fill in some gaps.

I'm trying to keep this simple for these friends though, so I'll probably
stick to the mySQL database they currently have.

I have made a bit of progress on this - passing map coords to form fields -
but am stuck on two points.

The below code will pass a dragged point's lat and lon to the relevant form
field. My two questions are:

1) Why does the Ajax "onComplete" work here but not OL's "mouseup", "up"
etc.?

2) How do I make this work for creating new points and lines? I've tried
copying this method but changing the onComplete to onCreate (and for lines
changing feature.geometry.x/y to feature.geometry.linestring) but had no
luck.

                        controls = {
                                point: new
OpenLayers.Control.DrawFeature(pointLayer,
                                                OpenLayers.Handler.Point),
                                line: new
OpenLayers.Control.DrawFeature(lineLayer,
                                                OpenLayers.Handler.Path),
                                polygon: new
OpenLayers.Control.DrawFeature(polygonLayer,
                                                OpenLayers.Handler.Polygon),
                                dragpoint: new
OpenLayers.Control.DragFeature(pointLayer, {onComplete:
onCompleteMovePoint})
                };

                for(var key in controls) {
                    map.addControl(controls[key]);
                }

                document.getElementById('noneToggle').checked = true;
            }

                        function onCompleteMovePoint(feature) {
                                if(feature) {
                // replace coordinate values in feature attributes
                var pointX = feature.geometry.x;
                var pointY = feature.geometry.y;
                                document.editpoint.lat.value = pointX;
                                document.editpoint.lon.value = pointY;