I tried 2.9 and I ran into similar issues as well. I finally got around to
stripping it down, so here are two simple examples showing it :

2.8 : http://vizure.net/temp/ol/rotation_2_8.html
2.9 : http://vizure.net/temp/ol/rotation_2_9.html

Both are exactly the same, except for which version of the library is in
use.
In 2.8, click the icon, then drag it around. Everything works fine.
In 2.9, click the icon, then try to drag it around. For me it starts to
rotate and move in the opposite direction. If I zoom in, it also goes to
random places and does not stay where it's pinned.

Lennox