Looking at format JSON.js file,  it's classic example of where OL fails silently

the code first runs a regex to validate the JSON, which returns null
if it doesn't validate
and then if it passes the initial validate and then crashes, it's also
wrapped in a try catch
which simples ignores any errors

what is the normal convention to report / throw errors in OL? Failing
silently is nasty

Also now that IE, FF and a few others have native JSON support, how does
everyone feel about conditionally using the native JSON when it's available