At 06:50 06/02/2013 -0600, Joel Ikenberry wrote:
... there are stark and considerable differences between Writer and Word that I have inevitably encountered. For example, there is apparently no "vertical paragraph alignment" option in Writer, but there is in Word.

o Put your paragraph into a frame.
o Anchor the frame to the page.
o On the Type tab of the Frame dialogue, under Position, for Vertical select Center and then to "Entire page" or "Page text area" as preferred.

... there are many things the Wiki and the Help Tool do not explain. For example, they do not explain how to apply a certain page-style. I only stumbled across the fact that a page-style can only be applied by inserting a manual page break.

You can apply a page style in various ways. You can change page styles within a document at a manual page break, but this is not the only way. You can set a Next Style on the Organizer tab of a page style; this will cause a page style change when text flows naturally to the following page.

I am struggling with how to format my documents to display various page-numbers. [...]
Here is what I need to know how to do:
1. Format different page numbers- Title Page (no number)- Dedication Page (no number)- Table of Contents (roman numerals)- Preface (roman numerals)- Prologue through all chapters ( starting at page 1)- Acknowledgments (continuing page numbers)- Appendices/Index (continuing page numbers)

Proper page numbering is a property of headers or footers. These are a property of page styles, so you will need to use separate page styles for each separately numbered section. You can use built-in styles or create your own. In this case, you will want to change page styles at manual page breaks, as you suggest. You will notice that there is a facility to reset the page counter when inserting manual page breaks; you will want to do this so that your table of contents and main body start at i and 1 respectively, not at their true page numbers.

2. Create a traditional Table of Contents (like in any other novel, no business topics or sections and complete with a leader)

Go to Insert | Indexes and Tables | Indexes and Tables... and choose Table of Contents.

3. Design headers to display book name on one page, chapter title on the next, continuously

I think you will need separate page styles for rectos and versos. The built-in Left Page and Right Page page styles may suffice, but with each set to have the other as Next Page. (There may be other ways of doing this.) You can use fields to insert such information as chapter titles, much as you would page numbers.

4. Vertically align a paragraph

Either use Spacing on the Indents & Spacing tab of the paragraph or paragraph style dialogue, or use a frame, as above.

I also have another question concerning file format and extensions. As a writer, I will have to eventually electronically submit part or all of my manuscript to a Literary Agent and or Publisher at some point and so the file extension will need to be in a format usable by these organizations' software (most likely Word). Is the ODT file format compatible with Word or do I need to save my documents under a different format?

The first answer to that question is to keep your text documents in OpenOffice's native .odt format and go back to those when you need to edit further. Convert to other formats only when you need to send a copy to others. I'll leave others to answer the main part of this question, though the answer may be simply to ask the literary agent or publisher what they need. The literary agent will likely be able to advise you what a publisher would need.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker