On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Tom Panfil <tap.h...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I've used Open Office on my MacBook Pro for about  three years and
> like it, but have not done anything particularly challenging.  I'm using
> Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 now.
>
> I need advice as to whether OO's Base with MySQL can be used in a
> practical way to do some tasks, before making a major attempt to
> switch from MS Access to OO & MySQL for this work.  I started to
> make this switch 3 years ago but stopped when I learned that Base
> does not include its own database engine.  Sample tasks are as follows:

you might have misslearned that. Base always included it's own database
engine called HSQLDB

> For many years I used MS Access to facilitate mailing CDs, later DVDs,
> to attendees of ACM SIGAda Conferences, now morphed into HILT
> Conferences.  I'd use the Conference Attendee List in the Access DB
> to perform two jobs to support this work:
>
>  * Print shipping Labels via a DYMO Printer.  The labels would
>    include a graphic, the shipping address, the return address,
>    and the number of disks to be included in the package.
>
>  * Print US Customs Forms to mail to attendees from outside the
>    USA.  Initially the US Forms were a single sheet, then later they
>    changed to a triplicate format.  I handled that by separating the
>    forms and printing on three copies in succession, being careful
>    to keep the forms with the same pre-printed number together.
>    The info printed was essentially the same as that used on the
>    Shipping Labels.

OpenOffice Base uses Writer which has a good support for diferent page
sizes, and specifications.

> The critical capability provided by Access, besides driving jobs from its
> database, was the capability to control placement of the text very
> precisely, to match the fields on the pre-printed forms.
>
> I'd really rather be able to do this job running OO's Base and MySQL
> directly from Mac OS X, rather than starting my Windows XP Virtual
> Machine, mechanized via Parallels, so that I can use MS Access
> from my MS Office XP Professional software.
>
> Do such tasks seem appropriate for OO's Base & MySQL?  Can Base
> provide very critical control of the positioning of text?

I suggest to have a look at our forums where there are many sample
databases and you can work with the people there to get you up to speed.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor