At 16:31 13/10/2013 +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote:
... however for some reason I cannot save my new style appropriately and therefore cannot find under function.
I created the style ...
... then when I click again on the style list I can see the new style. However when I close and reopen OO, the new style has disappeared.

What is my mistake?

That's easy: new styles are saved in documents, so if you are editing a different document (whether you have restarted OpenOffice or not) you will not see your new style. If you want to use your new style in other documents, you have two possible courses.

Load the style from the document in which you created it:
o In your target document, go to Format | Styles and Formatting (or click the Styles and Formatting button in the Formatting toolbar, or press F11).
o Click New Style from Selection | Load Styles... .
o Click From File... and browse to and open the source document.
Your created styles will now appear in your target (second) document.

Additionally, you can save the style in your default template, so that all new documents have access to it: o Start a new document from your existing default template and proceed as above to load your new styles into it. o Go to File | Templates > | Save..., give your new template a name (probably in the My Templates category), and click OK. o Go to File | Templates > | Organize..., open My Templates, and select your new template.
o Click Commands | Set As Default Template, and Close.
Any newly created documents will now contain your new styles.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker