Wilfred Milton wrote:
I had an email today saying that an
update was available, so I have spent about an hour downloading it,
using up a large amount of my allocation of bytes on my server. On
completion, I had a message to say that there was already a copy of
the same prog installed, meaning that I had just wasted a lot of
time.

This is being discussed on the dev list. The OpenOffice project does not send personal e-mail notifications (we don't have the e-mail addresses of our users!) but it seems this is a notification coming from SourceForge, that hosts the OpenOffice downloads and apparently offers a service where people can sign up to be notified when a new version of OpenOffice (or any other software) is available.

Maybe (but this is not confirmed) the service got confused by the fact that we recently started to distribute version 4.1.0-beta. But indeed the latest stable version is 4.0.1, and the next stable version, 4.1.0, is almost ready and expected to be released by mid-April.

Regards,
  Andrea.