On 05/16/2014 03:12 AM, mt wrote:
On 14/5/14 at 12:17 PM, j...@jt-mj.net (Julian Thomas) wrote:

As a longtime Star office and now OO user, I am new to styles. I'd still like to see some helpful information on how to get started with styles (better than 'my pets' and 'my cats'; [I tried those tutorials and they didn't work very well for me]) and a reference.

Sorry I can't help Julian, I have found no tutorials at all. I'm used to learning by reading the manual and then lots of trial and error, and after investing many hours doing just that, I have found that using styles can save some time with complex documents.

(I write and translate books, so using styles was "forced" on me by my editors, a dozen years ago or so. As of today, I am still sort of unsure what amount of time I have *effectively* saved by learning how to use styles - but I was given no option, and now that I've grown accustomed to styles, it's possible I am starting to save time. Twelve years, and many books down the track....! >:] )

To those who chimed in to justify styles: it is quite obvious to me that you are missing the point. For starters, it sounds like you don't really know WordPerfect, and imagine "Reveal codes" to be something other than it was.

But more basically, OpenOffice is for people like Julian and me. If people like me and Julian put forward a suggestion, it should be the programmer's job to consider it from the user's perspective... or shouldn't it??

Again, I would like to say thank you to those who give their time for free to build and improve OpenOffice. This includes those who put forward useful suggestions "from the user's perspective" :-)

marina

I had really intended not to comment on this again, having thought I had said it all, but I guess I was wrong. My beef is not particularly about reveal codes, altho that's certainly useful, when you want to find something weird happening at the end of a line, say. My beef is that when you find something weird happening, it's likely to be because of some "style" that you weren't aware of, and _you can't fix it, because__ __it's built into the "style." _ I think I said something like this in my first post on the subject, but maybe i did not make myself clear. So, yes, I want a somewhat intelligent typewriter, and no, I don't see anything at all wrong with that!

--doug

PS: I don't intend to memorize a whole bunch of "styles"--I did my last memorization with WordStar in CPM and then in DOS.