On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 18:12:26 -0400
Jay Shannon <jm1shan...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I am hoping you can help me. I'm attempting to format my novel using
> OpenOffice and am having difficulties with the page numbering. I'm entirely
> illiterate when it comes to your support forums which is why I'm contacting
> you via this website.
>
> I've enlisted the "Manual Break" function, which works for me. The initial
> blank pages and copyright is one break, unnumbered. Next, for my contents and
> preamble I have another break, numbered with roman numerals, then my title
> page (two pages, the second one blank), which I want unnumbered, and then the
> prologue begins at Page 1.
>
> The problem is, even though the title page(s) are their own break, when I add
> page numbering to the body of the book, page numbers then insert themselves
> into the title page(s). If I delete them from the title page(s), they delete
> themselves from the body of the book.
>
> How can I avoid this?

Page numbering is not a document property. It is a Page Style Property.  Every
time you change the format of page numbering, such as On or Off, Roman
numerals, Arabic numerals, etc, you need to use a different Page Style, which
style is introduced by the /Insert /Break /Page Break mechanism.

This tutorial on Page Numbering may help:
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1221
as may this on Page Styles and headers/footers
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=44607

If your problems continue, I suggest you bring them to the Forum at
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum
where you will get speedy help.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>