With my e-mail client, if I open the document directly from the e-mail client then it is read-only. Clicking on the 'Edit File' button in the toolbar offers the possibility of editing a copy of the file.

Alternatively, if I first save the document somewhere and then open it from there, it is not read-only and I can edit it immediately.