On 7/14/2014 10:16 PM, Senior.System Analyst wrote:
>(a) Formatting (color size, shapes, etc.) may change once MS word
document is opened in Open Office.

As a general rule, if the document remains the same when opened with
different versions of MSO, it will remain the same when opened with AOo.

>(b) Sometimes behaviour of open office is uncertain when using Smart
Art & Word Art styles (of MS Power point, excel).

This is problematic when switching between document formats, and
programs that can not read/write/edit ODF file formats.

> (c) Animation of MS Powerpoint slides does not always work as desired in Open
> Office.

Known issue.

> (d) Although macros are supported in Open Office but the Macros created using
> MS Office cannot be executed in Open Office.

AOo and MSO use different languages for macros.  As such, you'll have to
rewrite the macros in a language that AOo understands.
That said, there used to be a program that converted MSO macros to AOo.
I don't know if that program is still available.

When migrating to AOo from MSO, two things are vital:
* Rewrite all macros in a language that AOo can utilize;
* Construct all templates from scratch, specifically for AOo;
That means that your organization will either have to train somebody
in-house to write macros, and construct templates,
or hire an independent contractor to perform that task for your
organization.

> (e) Some of the features that are easily available in MS Office could not be
> found in Open office such as;-

> (i) Spelling / Grammar check

Dictionaries in all of the official languages of India have been
released.  However, they have not been maintained.
OTOH, fixing errors, adding words, deleting words, etc to a dictionary
is fairly straightforward.

Thus far, the grammar checkers have focused on European languages.
Language Tool has a basic rule set for Malayalam.
Developing functional rule sets requires both a deep knowledge of the
grammar of the language, and a comprehensive understanding of XML.
Understanding when, and more importantly, when _not_ to create rules
used by Language Tool is an art form that few people master.

Between the various grammar checkers, roughly 40 languages can claim
some type of grammar checking. However, I wouldn't rely on any of them.
OTOH, I've yet to see any of them do what MSO specializes in --- claim
the sentence is grammatically incorrect, change it to what it calls
correct, and then claim the correction is grammatically incorrect,
and change it back to the way it was, repeating the cycle ad infinitum.

>  (ii) View files side by side with Synchronous scrolling

I've seen that demoed in an OpenOffice.org fork, but don't know which
fork it was, nor how it was done. :(
For the time being, assume it isn't present in AOo, and won't be
included for a couple of versions.

>  (iii) Converting the impress document into PDF results in the printing of
> all hidden slides too.

That is a configuration issue.  Change the settings, and the behaviour
will change.

jonathon