In the View menu under Toolbars there's an item called Drawing that you can turn on. Is that what you're looking for?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014, Bridget Letcher wrote:

I just got an update for openoffice, which I did update, but.......

I'm not very good at explaining, but I'll give it a try. A few years ago I discovered in openoffice writer
that I can create with lines (dashed or solid), squares, circles, & other options, making them thin,
fat, long short, & so on. I could also choose colors as well. I don't know if these options have a name
or not (I don't recall seeing anything). These options ran along the bottom left of the page. After the
update I opened one of my documents (openoffice writer) to change a few things in something I was working
on only a few hours before the update took place & now these options are gone! What happened & can
I get them back? I'm very low income & few things are free these days. This was something fun I could
do for free & would like to get it back. I don't know if it's not a free option anymore & the
update took them away, or if I'm just not looking in the right place to bring it back.

Please let me knowThank you,Bridget