Why don't you just use iBooks Author and be done with it?

To answer your first question, AOO won't integrate with iWork09. You'd have to
save your iWork doc as a .doc or .txt first, then you can open it with AOO
Writer.

And Lester's prophesy fails: All three platforms can read .jpg files.

And Lester, please stop the religious stuff. It's out of place here.