Monday 23 February 2015, 12h45

A few minutes ago I thought I would again try the printer ...(  Sometimes
devices manage to cure themselves ... )
I attempted to print a letter

(  The printer was switched off about mid-afternoon Saturday 21 Feb 2015 - has
not been on, has not been used since then   In the email below (sent today
10h14) I tell you the printer printed well from other sources. I wrote:
              "   Tesco Support established the printer functions
satisfactorily when printing from other sources ...  "
   The "other source" was a page from BBC news  )

The printer printed from three-quarters of the way down the page(missed the
rest of the letter)andthe printer printed (upside down) the header and the end
of the BBC page:
                   " BBC News - Home
Page 4 of 4

                      http:/www.bbc.co.uk/news
21/02/2015  "

I think this is odd !!!

PDG

Monday 23 February 2015, 10h14

Good morning!

I have a problem ...My major problem may be my ignorance (lack of knowledge &
lack of skill) using a PC ... ???Please will anyone offering wise counsel bear
this in mind

-----------------

Background
For 6 or 8 years (or longer)  I have been using Open Office to write
lettersInitially I used a Canon i560 to print these lettersLatterly I used a
Canon iP4600 to print
Last week the iP4600 ceased to function
I bought a (new) Canon MG5650 from Tesco

---------

I installed the MG5650
The printer dd not function wellIt crunched up the first sheet of paperIt
punched two holes in the second sheet of paper
(  I was worried and  (Friday 21 February 2015)  I consulted with Canon Support
in The Netherlands - at length )
Eventually (with the guidance of Canon Support) it began to perform properly
(it seemed to perform very well ... ?)BUT - the printer would not print letters
from Open Office "Documents"Canon Support said the problem was with Open
Office, not with the printer
(  By this time it was 17h00, and, Canon Support closed )
I tried to print (click on the icon on the third row from the top of the
screen) a letter from Open Office "Documents"I could not print
(  I was worried and (Saturday 22 February 2015) I consulted Tesco Support - at
even greater length (for hours)  )
The iP4600 was still the printer shown (the default printer)
Having installed the MG5650 ... with the help of Tesco Support I tried to
delete (remove) the iP4600 from the systemEntering " Devices & printers " I
identified and deleted the iP4600( At least, the iP4600 vanished from the page )
But - when I tried to print, the iP4600appeared as the default printer
I again looked in " Devices & printers " - the iP4600 was (still) displayed; it
had "returned"I again deleted the iP4600But the iP4600 returned - again and
again
Eventually ... the iP4600 vanished from "Devices & printers" (it seems it has
vanished)Eventually ... only the MG5650 is shown in "Devices & Printers"When I
click on the icon "print" the default printer now is the MG5650 - this is
progress !!!
(  All this about deleting the iP4600 may be irrelevant - I do not know
Accordingly, I tell you, I inform you - I am sorry if this is wasting your time
)

NOW TO THE MATTER IN HAND - THE PROBLEM

(Using the MG5650)  I was still unable to print properly from Open Office
"Documents"
Tesco Support guided me through all manner of efforts to resolve this problem(
Tesco Support devoted more than 2 hours to me and my problem)
Tesco Support established the printer functions satisfactorily when printing
from other sources ...
When printing from Open Office  "Documents"  2 problems are manifest (or appear
to be manifest)
First:  (in spite of the "display" showing the letter correctly)  the print
begins three-quarters of the way down the page ...          then continues to
print previous letters stored in "Documents"          the printer does not
start from the beginning of the letter selected         Second: it seems the
printer sometimes "picks up", prints two letters (documents) one over the other
on the one piece of paper             thus two series of printing overlay each
other - both semi obscured
Tesco Support spent even more time with me ...Tesco Support suggested trying
Libre Office ...We didThe result was the same as with Open Office - both
problems manifest
The splendid fellow at Tesco Support did all he was able ...He contends it is
an Open Office problem, not a printer problem
(  Permit me to remind you, Gentle reader, I have used Open Office successfully
for many years, printing with Canon printers  (i560 and iP4600)  successfully.
The problem only appeared last week when I changed the iP4600 for a MG5650 )
Does anyone have a solution ... please?

Peter D. Gallagher49 Rowans ParkLymingtonHampshire SO41 9GETel: 01590 670067