On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 5:36 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Well, I always say things like ”I think people are stupid until the
> opposite is proven”, not that I mean it very much, it's just fun to say
> some times… but if the above method really works, then at least some people
> must be really stupid… so I just hope that you are wrong there… :)

FUD is very old in IT circles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt

I saw it happen in the 1990s in the CompuServe forums, Microsoft used the
tactic against IBM's OS/2 Warp.

Do a Google search for "Barkto incident".

Barkto incident
http://www.isham-research.co.uk/barkto.html

Then it was repeated against AIM:  Fake security consultant alerting on
dangers of AIM turns out being MS employee

Microsoft Employee's Attempt to Discredit AOL's AIM Backfires
http://www.net4tv.com/voice/Story.cfm?storyID=1335

Microsoft Says Worker Wrote Smear of Rival
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/08/13/business/microsoft-says-worker-wrote-smear-of-rival.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

So, FUD sadly continues to be used. Even in FOSS circles sometimes FUD is
used against corporations that are FOSS players by competitors claiming to
be "community" when they want to wrestle control of a project away from a
firm...

And don't forget another weapon in FUD: sock puppetry...

Even dead people write in support of MS
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20010823&slug=microlob23

BM outed as Microsoft´s sock puppet
https://web.archive.org/web/20110830181115/http://www.catchingflack.com/2007/09/burson-marsteller-outed-as-microsofts-sock-puppet/

The fact that MS got caught red handed a handful of times makes you think
how many times they did the same but didn't get caught. :-/

FC
act
- George Orwell