On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Maurice Howe <mauriceh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need help printing mailing labels for a newsletter.  My data is a ".doc"
> file comprised of a TABLE with names, addresses, etc.
>
> Using writer/tools/mail-merge, I get as far as use-current-doc/letter but
> the "insert address block" fields are grayed-out.  The select-address-list
> tab shows my filename but I can't get past that.

Hello Maurice -  I've tried a few experiments to perform mail merge. I have
not been able to find a way to have the source of the data be in a .doc
file (or a .odt file for that matter).

The instructions I found provide reference to using a text file or a
spreadsheet as the data source.
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Creating_Mail_Merge_Documents_From_Text/CSV_or_Spreadsheets

My suggestion would be copy the address table from the Word document into a
spreadsheet. (I tested copy from Word table into Calc spreadsheet and that
preserved the column and row layout.) Then use the spreadsheet as the data
source.

This method worked in my tests.