Please always provide version of your specific operating system and the
specific version of Open Office you are using whenever posting a  question.

The software for this message board strips off all attachments.  Thus, the
copy of your file which you attached has never and will never appear here.

What file extension is on the file you are sending to your friend.  Is it,
for example  .odt or .doc or .docx or .rtf or .txt or whatever?

The issue may be that your correspondent's system is unable to open and
read the file format which you are sending.

Did you initially save the document with a  password on your system.  AFIK,
that is the only way to "protect" a  document within OO.  If you did
initially save the document with a  password, use the password, open the
document, and resave the document without a password.

Detailed instructions on how to do that are contained in the Help File for
OO on your computer.  Press the F1 key to go to the help file.

A copy of the specific entry for protecting / unprotecting documents in OO
follows:

Protecting All Documents When Saving

All documents that are saved in OpenDocument format
<vnd.sun.star.help://shared/text/shared/00/00000021.xhp?Language=en-US&System=WIN&UseDB=no&DbPAR=swriter>
can be saved with a password. Documents that are saved with a password
cannot be opened without the password. The content is secured so that it
cannot be read with an external editor. This applies to content, graphics
and OLE objects.

Turning on protection

Choose *File - Save As* and mark the *Save with password* check box. Save
the document.

Turning off protection

Open the document, entering the correct password. Choose *File - Save As*
and clear the *Save with password* check box.

As a  courtesy, I am sending you a copy of this response directly to your E
mail account.  If you have additional questions, please continue to post
those on the
users site.  Please do not E mail me directly as I will not respond.