On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 06:47:28PM +0000, toki wrote:
> >  2. from an academic point of view, if a word-count limit is set for
> >     a document, would you expect a best-effort count in OO to be an
> >     excuse for being a tad over in MS Word?
>
> What ruleset does that academic institution in question use, to
> determine the number of words in a document?

Well, I've now asked the question, so hope to find out soon.  Perhaps
it is wrong to quibble over word-counts anyway in academic documents.
If you are having to shave words at that level of minutiae, then you
might have written too much.

> More pertinent to the original question, is how does the institution
> define "word"?

Probably as defined by the institution's preferred word processor or an
acceptable alternative.

Bit I have a suspicion we are starting (as many great threads do) to drift
away from OO ...

Jonathan