On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 8:10 PM, Craig Craft <craftwa...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I know you are busy with involvement in the Apache/Open Office project. I
> am a 'tech flunky' learning to use word processing and pc technology, in
> general. I am a researcher/writer and I am looking for information as to
> how I may scan documents into editable files that I can merge into my text
> documents. If it is not too much trouble, can someone point me in the
> correct direction please. I am using a very basic all-in-one scanner (canon
> MG 2500 Series) and a very basic laptop running Windows

Hello Craig,

What you need is OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software. Windows does
not have native (comes with Windows) OCR as far as I know. The software
that comes with printers that have built in scanners may include OCR
software. There are also 3rd party OCR programs available.

Here's a link I found to Windows OCR programs. I'm not familiar with any of
them.
http://listoffreeware.com/list-of-best-free-ocr-software-for-windows/