On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 07:26:47 +0000 (UTC)
David Richards <xdavidrichar...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello, :)I'm very happy, just bought an Apple MacBook Pro, downloaded Apache
> OpenOffice. It's all good. Love the computer. Love the OpenOffice software.
> One annoying problem. The program places a Disk Image Icon on my Desktop. I'm
> not a new user. After reading a support board on a website where another user
> had the same problem, it was clear that the rude person giving the answers
> didn't understand and no solution was found.(
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=66589 )
> Here is what I did...I downloaded the dmg file. When I double clicked it, the
> installer opened up with images of the OpenOffice Icon on the left with a big
> blue arrow pointing to an image of the Applications Folder on the right. As
> soon as I clicked the OpenOffice Icon it automatically started installing. It
> didn't allow me to drag one picture on top of the other picture or anything
> like that...as soon as I clicked my mouse it started installing. The program
> did successfully install inside my Applications folder. Everything works. All
> good.
> But, when I trash the Disk Image Icon on my desktop, so I can have a nice
> clean desktop with no icons like the bad old days, when I launch OpenOffice
> again, it will open that installer window again with the pictures of the
> OpenOffice Icon and the big blue arrow pointing at the Applications folder,
> so.... I have to click it, I'm forced to, and bam, the annoying desktop icon
> is back on my desktop, and then....and only then..... the program will open
> again. As long as I don't trash the Disk Image Icon on the Desktop, the
> program will open and close seamlessly all day long. But if I trash that Disk
> Image Icon to clean up my desktop, that installer will open again when I try
> and re-open the program.
> The support guy managing the message board that I was reading was very rude
> to the user who had this same problem and he kept telling the person with the
> problem that he had to drop the installer (the dmg file) in the Applications
> folder, install it there, and that would fix this problem...but that is
> automatically done anyway by the installer itself with the window of the
> pretty picture of the OpenOffice icon with the big pointing blue arrow to the
> picture of the Application folder. So in other words, I don't have to do it,
> the installer does it for you. And yes, as I said, the program does reside in
> the Application folder where it should, and everything works great, the Dock
> Icon is installed, and the program works seamless...as long as I don't trash
> that desktop icon image.
> So, whats the real truth? Does this icon always stay on my desktop forever or
> am I missing something here? Please don't tell me I need to install it in the
> Applications Folder when the installer did that automatically for me anyway.
> What's the real deal here?

I have no Mac experience, not having touched an Apple computer since 1979, but
I understand in some cases (and I think this is one) one needs to drag the .dmg
image into the application folder on a Mac.  I am also aware that the advice
given by lgusaas on Mac matters is usually impeccable and were I a Mac user
(absit omen!) I would obey his advice.

The Forum is manned by volunteers in their own time and on a pro bono basis.
Postings tend to be blunt and to the point; we do not undertake, or expect, to
have to teach the querist how to use his computer at the most fundamental level.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>