> … … …

I have therefore reverted to version 3.4.1 which does not have this
> "problem". Furthermore this version has an constant SUM function at the
> bottom of the screen which automatically  shows the total of whichever
> cells have been selected. I find this very useful.

I also find that useful. I use it all the time – with Apache OpenOffice
4.1.1. It's located at the left side of the zoom bar, I think it's the same
position as in 3.4.1, so I'm not sure you didn't seem to have it. Also, if
I right click the SUM field, I can select other things, like Maximum value,
Minimum value, Average and so on.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg