George,

I'm also an old fogey, and a bit shy of unfamiliar programs and their complexities (and unwilling to spend $$s recklessly).

I use Dragon Dictate, and love it. It's easy to install, easy to get working enough to be encouraging, and then worth spending the little bits of extra time to discover it's many finer points.

I use it on a MacBook Pro (getting a bit old now) with OpenOffice.

Mike Shearer
Townsville, Queensland Australia