On 3/2/2016 7:19 AM, James Knott wrote:
On 03/02/2016 06:07 AM, Dave Barton wrote:
For anyone who's good at touch typing, that would slow them down.
FWIW: I frequently need to type the € character on a standard US
keyboard and for a long time have used the "AutoCorrect -> Replace"
option, by adding :?: (colon + question mark + colon) as my personal
auto correction replacement for the Euro character. This works for me in
both AOO & LO under Windows & Linux (presumably it would also work for
OSX & OS2). There is a minor (slightly inconvenient) difference between
AOO & LO, in that AOO requires a space or return character to
immediately follow the chosen AutoCorrect string.
So, now you're hitting 3 or 4 keys and you'd have to set up something
for each special character.  I just press right Alt & 5 to get €.

Again, it's so easy to set up the U.S. International layout on Linux &
Windows (no idea about Mac) that there's no need to use those tricks.

I have my keyboard configured to support U.S. English, U.S.
International and Greek (for electronics symbols).  I can easily switch
among them as needed.

Even with the US International keyboard (which is what I use also), not all fonts have all the characters. I use US International keyboard layout so that I can write documents in Spanish and Italian as well as English. But you still have to make sure that the font you are using has the characters you want. Otherwise, I don't think any method will create the characters for you.

Dale Erwin