To expand on Rory's answer,

If your password was short and memorable (even though you have forgotten it),
there are utilities that will try better-than-brute-force solutions at opening
password-protected OpenDocument Format documents such as those produced by
Apache OpenOffice.

We do not provide such a utility.  Some of them provide simple attacks for
free, may not provide a solution in reasonable time and have to be stopped, and
have premium versions that make better attacks and can still fail.

However, since you probably did not employ a cryptographically-safe password,
such a utility may succeed.

The Apache OpenOffice project does not recommend any such utility.  You should
take precautions installing such a tool and use it at your own risk.

 - Dennis