SOUNDARAM PADMANABHAN wrote:
> Hi
> I would like to ask one question regarding the problem faced by me by using
> Open Office.
> Due to sudden power disruption, a particular document in the Office program
> is not opening.
> The following message appears - Document locked for editing.
> When I open the particular document the following message pops up  - Recovery
> failed.
> Question - How to remove or solve the problem - Document locked for editing?
> Is there any simple way to solve the issue?
> Moreover, I cannot save a new document with the same file name even after I
> delete thedocument from my system. Any suggestions - as to how to solve this
> problem.?
> Regards
> S. PadmanabhanMobile Number : 81972 41964

Soundaram;

Apache OpenOffice (AOO) uses a technique called file locking to prevent
the file being opened with write access by multiple instances of
OpenOffice processes. It does this by creating a temporary lock file
when the file is opened, and then deleting it when the document is
closed. The power failure interrupted the normal process flow and caused
the lock file to be left behind thus causing AOO to believe the file is
locked. To remove the lock file manually, navigate to the folder or
directory where the document resides; there should be a file called
.locknnn where nnn is the name of the document you want to open. Once
you delete that file AOO should be able to open your document again with
no problems.

Please reply only to the mailing list and not my personal address.

Regards
Keith

--
Keith N. McKenna, p/OSB