At 07:36 01/08/2016 +1000, Richard Beeston wrote:
I need to write a thesis and the requirement is to have double line spacing on each page of a document of approximately 150 pages. Rather than hit the enter button twice each time especially as I could be writing long sentences and not wanting to interrupt my thought process can I set any part of OO to automatically do double line spacing.

First, let's debunk the idea that you could ever do the job in the way that you suggest. In a word-processor document, you press Enter not at the end of each line but at the end of a paragraph. So you would be dividing your work into one-line paragraphs, each separated by an empty paragraph. This would have many implications for how the document text behaved, not the least of which would be that you could no longer justify your text - if that is what you wanted. More important, any small modification you make to your text may well require you to move the position of the end of each false paragraph - all the way down to the end of the real paragraph. (Even if you believe that you won't need to modify your text, your examiners will have other ideas!)

True line breaks can be inserted using Shift+Enter instead. A technique using these would allow justification of text but would retain the other disadvantages.

Second, you should let your institution know that the world no longer uses typewriters. It is only in typescript that the concept of double spacing really exists, since it supposes that the printed output is restricted to discrete vertical positions. There is no such restriction on commercial printing or even on printed output produced by word processors - though it is possible to choose that lines are separated by exactly twice the default spacing, of course.

o Either:
 + Select your text.
+ Go to Format | Paragraph... | Indents & Spacing | Line spacing (or right-click | Paragraph... | Indents & Spacing | Line spacing).
o Or:
+ Right-click in the paragraph and go to Edit Paragraph Style... | Indents & Spacing | Line spacing).
o Select Double from the drop-down menu.

The first option will set the line spacing for the current paragraph and for any new paragraphs that you create following it. The second option is better, in that it will do the same for the *style* of the current paragraph, so the effect will be carried into all paragraphs having the same style. If you have not applied any style, your paragraphs will nevertheless have a style - probably "Default". In that case, you will have to perform the task only once for the entire document. You can choose and apply other styles later for any paragraphs that require different line spacing.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker