Saifi Khan wrote:
The Apache OpenOffice nightly build packages have .tar.gz extension when in
fact they are .tar

No, they are .tar.gz ; but most browsers will uncompress .tar.gz files on the fly and thus you'll see the already extracted .tar file.

https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/linux64/Apache_OpenOffice_4.2.0_Linux_x86-64_install-arc_en-US_2016-08-09_04:31:06_1755554.tar.gz

If you download it properly (with wget, say) you get a file with md5sum a655f761ddb45a0e544faf4889c2ec5c which is a compressed gzip file as expected.

A compressed .tar.gz reduced the download size considerably for the users who'd
like to try out the nightly build.

It wouldn't anyway. The tar, in turn, contains already compressed data (.deb and .rpm are compressed). So gzipping is just to obey conventions - but we do it anyway.

The last nightly build available for download is annotated is 2016-08-09.
However, today's build should be annotated as 2016-08-20.
Is the page at https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/index.html
auto-generated along with the nightly build ?

It is. But it is updated only when a build is successful, and the build is currently broken. See
https://ci.apache.org/builders/openoffice-linux64-nightly/
We've updated some dependencies and we need software updates on the build machines. Builds will be "green" again once those systems receive the needed updates (hopefully in a few days).

Regards,
  Andrea.