Julian:

I amforwarding  using Windows 10. I have checked each file property to find
none intentionally set as read-only.
I recently began seeing the read only addition to the file name when
opening previously created doc. files. Clicking the Edit icon in Open
Office causes the program to crash every time. I'm going to try
uninstalling Open Office, downloading the latest version and reinstalling.
Any other ideas?
Thanks for your quick response.

On Sep 11, 2016 2:11 PM, "Julian Thomas" <j...@jt-mj.net> wrote:

> > On Sep 11, 2016, at 09:03, Rick Davis <rickdavis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I,ver been a user of Open Office for several years. Recently, files
that I've created with Word are opening as "read only", even though they
were not originally created or saved with that property.
> > The Help file tells me to toggle the "Edit File" icon to allow file
editing. When I click on the "Edit File" icon to edit the text document,
the program crashes.
> > Is there a setting to change the default away from "read only" or
another way that I can edit myself saved document files?

> You don't say what operating system you are using, but can you use a file
manager to see if the read-only bit is set for one of the files with the
problem is set?