At 03:36 15/11/2016 -0500, Linda Hull wrote:
Brian, Fantastic! This is what I needed!

Good-oh!

You are always so good!

How kind!

At 22:44 15/11/2016 -0500, Linda Hull wrote:
You said:
o Go to Edit | Find & Replace... (or Ctrl+F).
o Click More Options and tick "Regular expressions".
o Search for $ and Replace with a single space.
o Now search for USER: and replace with \n& .

When I put USER or CHANNEL in the 'Search for' box, and replace with \n&, it's adding a space above the line where USER or CHANNEL occurs?

Er, it will!

I want it to append the line with USER or CHANNEL to the line above.

I understood from what you said before that you wanted to do this with CHANNEL: but *not* with "USER:".

Did I do this wrong?

Possibly.

Your example text had multiple lines (paragraphs, in fact) for each individual but also multiple individuals. I suggested two processes here. The first one is to search for $ and replace with a single space. This will run together not only all the paragraphs for one individual but also those for all individuals. You now have a single paragraph. That many seem wrong, but be patient.

If you want each user now to be in a separate paragraph (what you are calling a "line"), perform a second, separate Find & Replace, replacing "USER:" with "\n&" (no quotes, of course). This inserts a paragraph break before each "USER:", so that each individual is now in a separate paragraph (and will end up in a separate row of your spreadsheet). This makes sense only *after* you have completed the first Find & Replace. I suggested searching for "USER:" instead of "USER" as you mention above, in case you happened to have the text "USER" elsewhere in the text than as the marker of a new individual.

I don't know why you would search for "CHANNEL" - I didn't suggest that. The whole point was to merge the paragraphs, wasn't it? If you now want to remove some of those colons, you can now carry out a third Find & Replace, this time searching for ([:alpha:]): (note that trailing colon) and replacing with $1 .

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker