I was initially delighted to think that I had found a word processing app
that functioned much the way that Microsoft Word has for me for many years,
until problems with my laptop led me to do a system restore and I ended up
constrained to move to Windows 10 which I have found nothing if not confusing
and awkward.  I do most of my emails and quick searches on my cell, but do need
to have my personal laptop top create documents that I can send to clients and
prospects occasionally.  The idiotic wordpad or whatever was practically
worthless and uncomfortable.  Having in the last few days downloaded and
installed Open Office, I am having difficulties creating documents of any sort
that I can send via email that I am confident that the recipients can open.
When I send a relatively simple text document to my alternate email addresses,
it come across as an Open Office Document that opens IN Open Office, as if I
wanted whomever I sent it to, to edit it or something.  What if my client does
not have Open Office????  I cannot seem to figure out a way to just convert or
create it as a simple document that anyone can open with whatever they have.
There must be a way to do that or send it as a PDF or good old plain doc.  or
something!!!
      I am not a Luddite or computer illiterate:  I have for many years used
CAD programs and am reasonably proficient with programs such as PhotoShop.  I
studied computer graphics at the University back in the early ‘80s, for Pete’s
sake!  I spend way too many hours engaged in front of a screen during working
hours and do not have the time to do the same at home when trying to perform
what has always been a simple, but vital task.
      Could you please send me a simple solution/method/or whatever that will
make this aspect of my electronic life easier?  Or, was the reason Open Office
was a free download because everyone I want to share anything I create with it
must also install this version?
      I hope to hear from you soon,
Jeffrey