Hi John, I've had this problem several times in the past.

By default Apple has changed the security settings to only allow installation
of apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers. To change this
permanently or temporarily go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy. On
the General Tab click the little lock in the lower left corner to unlock the
general preference pane. Then select the Anywhere radio button beneath Allow
applications downloaded from:

You can then change you preferences back after installing Open Office or any
other reliable software you need.

Good luck!

Lucetta