On 2/15/2017 1:52 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 18:39:43 +0000
> "HANLON, RICHARD" <richard.han...@poolcorp.com> wrote:
>
>> can mircosoft works be opened and used in openoffice 4.1.3?  I currently
>> have works on an old computer that is running Microsoft XP.  I was hoping
>> that is I upgrade the computer  and use  MS 8.1 FOR EXAMPLE operating system
>> could I open and use the programs in MS WORKS through OPEN IFFICE 4.1.3 OR
>> OTHER VERSION?
>>
>> Rick Hanlon
>> Chemical Product Manager  *  POOLCORP    * ALLIANCE TRADING, INC.
>> 508-962-7238
>>
>> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
>> solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
>> If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.
>> This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the
>> individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
>> disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
>
> OpenOffice 4 does not open Works files.  You can use the free online service
> at
> www.zamzar.com to convert them to OpenOffice (or other formats), and should
> continue to work in those formats hereafter. I think OpenOffice 3 versions
> will handle Works formats, but do not know for certain.

The xlr format used by later versions of MS Works can be opened by AOO
as it is a stripped down version of the xls format. As far as other
Works documents, and even the xlr ones, conversion at www.zamzar.com
would be the best route.

To my knowledge no versions of OOo or AOO will open Works files. GO-oo
did have MS Works support and that was ported to LibreOffice.

Regards
Keith