Sure you should take it to a lawyer to be sure, but you truly are free to use
Apache OpenOffice for your stated purposes.

(1) Apache OpenOffice is a project of the Apache Software Foundation and is
managed by a set of volunteers who are the Apache OpenOffice Project Management
Committee - https://openoffice.apache.org <https://openoffice.apache.org/>
(2) The Apache Software Foundation makes all releases under the Apache License
2.0 - http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
<http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0>
(3) The Apache Software Foundation is a volunteer run non-profit -
http://www.apache.org/foundation/ <http://www.apache.org/foundation/>
(4) The project has a page of known support resources at
http://www.openoffice.org/support/index.html
<http://www.openoffice.org/support/index.html>
(5) OpenOffice release are made in source form with build instructions.
https://openoffice.apache.org/downloads.html
<https://openoffice.apache.org/downloads.html>
(6) Installation packages (Convenience binaries) are made available by the
project for Windows, MacOS and Linux.
https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html
<https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html>

FYI - I am also a resident of California, a member of the Apache Software
Foundation and the OpenOffice PMC.

If you want advice on packaging then please consider joining the dev list -
https://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html#development-mailing-list-public

Regards,
Dave