Thank you, Brian, for your kind response to my query. The friend for whom I
offered to edit the .docx file is probably even less IT savvy than I am (no
great stretch).  To exacerbate the situation, he is a Windows user while I use
Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.5).

From my workforce days in a office (excuse pun, please), I found I could create
desktop publishing from within MS Excel.  Hence, I do graphics and desktop
publishing style work voluntarily to help my friends as necessary.  In this
instance, he is the Secretary of a community service Society and it fell to him
to prepare the leaflets for an October 2017 meeting at which Society positions
will be voted upon.

The task involved (for me to edit) involved removing the photo of the Society's
incumbent from the pro forma leaflets, prior to being to being distributed
before October.

I thought I could utilise AOO to achieve the document changes necessary without
him having to navigate the daunting complexities of MS Word (or AOO) software,
among his many other Society activities.  The idea was for him to attach the
original file (.docx) to an email; I would open and edit it in AOO; save it in
.docx format and attach it to a returning email.

That’s the background to my endeavours.  Thanking you again, I am

Yours sincerely, ranger1.

P.S.  Another OpenOffice forum member ( a lady, I think) also responded to my
query a day earlier although I seem unable to locate her email and reply
directly.  The member involved suggested investigating LibreOffice as documents
could be saved from within into an MS Word 2010 format.  I regret having lost
the member’s email forum details, preventing me from directly acknowledging her
response.  I have downloaded open source .DMG file to install shortly.