Hi Jane,

You can always download a language pack (en-US) for your version of AOO
from here:
https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

After installing it you can change the user interface to English under
"Nástroje - Volby... - Jazyková nastavení - Jazyki".

I think you have to download the English dictionary additionally from here:
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/english-dictionaries-apache-openoffice

Regards,

   Matthias